Sunday, December 7, 2014

the struggle is real

Y'all, I love Christmas. I mean, I love it like a blue-haired grandma loves her BINGO. I love the sights, the smells, the tastes, the sounds, the tastes. Mmmmm, the tastes. Soooo, I have love love loved all of the blogs and their "Holiday Home Tours", but I simply don't see how they do it. They have their entire home decorated like a window display at the North Pole Mall, and I can't even get my tree finished.
I have accomplished something though. I made snowball-like pom poms out of yarn. Yes, I did make them at 1:00 AM, and yes, I did bypass a shower to do so, but as Taylor Swift says, "Makers gonna make", or something like that. I am making them to DIY something like this...
source: Anthropologie
It is $38 for a 6 ft. long garland. Not a horrific price, but I definitely wanted more like 60 ft. of garland instead. Yes, haven't you heard "more is more"?  Well, I don't want to spend $400 on garland, because that is insane, not in my budget, so DIY it is. I might even make one of these if I'm feeling up to a pom pom making frenzy.  
Source: Anthropologie
It is $138. I think I can make it for less than $15. Sure, it will only take approximately 14 gazillion hours, but I haven't nothing else to do. *Ahem*

Also, I am thinking of making this as well, but using pre-made pom poms instead of felted balls because I am not working in a sweatshop and this many felted balls would take an eternity plus 18 days. (If you want to make them, here is a tutorial. Knock yourself out. Be sure to grab a stiff drink and put on some holiday music 'cause your gonna need it when you are elbow deep in wool and soap.)
felted ball garland via Pickles
I love the vibrant colors of this, but it really isn't my color palette. I'm going white. You know, once you go white, you never...oh never mind. Sorry. I can't help what pops into my head, and it's late, and my kids have been cranky all day, and it took them 2 hours to go to bed tonight. The struggle is real.

So, my tree isn't completely decorated, I need to clean the chicken coop, my dishes are piled up in the sink, I have Christmas presents to wrap, I have no decorations outside, have about 8 canvases to paint, approximately 10 loads of laundry to do, and all I can think of is making pom poms and wreaths. You know, priorities. 

I'll be back to show you the Great Pom Pom Event of 2014 this week. 




2 comments:

  1. Sending you a virtual fist bump! 👊 Last night I sat in the floor and watched my kiddos decorate our tree. 😳 It definitely won't be featured anywhere but my kids were super proud of all of their ornaments (where do these people put the gazillion ornaments their kiddos make at school?!). 😜 I share a love of crafting too and find myself staying up way past my bedtime. There's just something about making something yourself that is so gratifying! Hope you have a laid back day and get a few things crossed off your list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up! And, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my canvas! Everyone who comes into our home asks about it....they have to step over last night's spilled popcorn and a hardened play dough zoo to get to it, but it is beautiful! So keep struggling on with the rest of us! Fight the good fight! When I hand my mother's hand crochet stockings on our wall every year, I think about all the time she put in to making each one special for each person in the family. Your daughter will hang those pom poms some day and feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I read each and every one! Thank you so much for visiting my blog. Y'all come back now, ya' hear :)